Just a couple more steps. You're almost done...

You are not complete as you must still VISIT your New Jersey state website to finish your application. We have also created all the instructions, steps and documents that you will need in order to Change the Address on your Driver's License. Carefully read them below. This will save you time at the DMV.

  step1 downloadguide downloadguide Closely read our Driver License Guideā„¢ and follow the instructions.
  step3 downloadguide Finish application. Your state allows you to complete your application online.
  step3or4 download tips manual downloadguide Download your free Driver Guide Tips Manual Now!

drivers license address change new jersey - NJ

Quick Links

Recently moved and need to change the address on your license? The New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission will allow you to make an address change using the online website or by simply stopping by a Motor Vehicle Agency in person. Either option will allow you to get your new license with your new address. 

New Jersey Drivers License Address Change Information

Having a license with your updated information is a requirement in NJ. If you are currently a resident of New Jersey and have moved within the state, you'll have seven (7) days to make the change. However, if you are a new resident of our state (coming from another state), you'll need to update your address with the MVC in no more than sixty (60) days. Below our your options for making this change:

Online - In State Address Change


This option is only available for residents of New Jersey, who have recently moved to another address within New Jersey. You will have seven (7) days from your move date, to make the change.


  1. Visit the following Online MVC Address Change page.
  2. You will be asked to enter your zip code, driver's license number, and complete social security number. 
  3. Follow the instructions on screen. 
  4. In less than one (1) month, the MVC will send you (by mail), a sticker that you'll need to place on the backside of your existing license. Do the same to your car's registration. 

In Person - Out of State Licenses


This option is only available for new residents of New Jersey, who have recently moved from another state into New Jersey. The process involves applying for a new NJ driver's license. You will have sixty (60) days to get your new license. 


  1. Prepare your 6 point Identification and Address documents (read below for details on the list of documents).
  2. Prepare to bring your current out of state license.
  3. Stop by any New Jersey Motor Vehicle Agency.
  4. No further tests are required if your out of state is valid and active. If it is not active or if you have a non regular drivers license from another state, you will be required to pass the Written and Driving tests.
  5. If everything is successful, pay the required license cost (www.state.nj.us/mvc/Licenses/LicensePermitFees.htm), and you will be issued a new regular NJ drivers license. This license will be valid for four (4) years.
    • Note: You may pay with a credit card, check, cash or money order. 



The following page has the latest fees for making a correction on your license. Look at the row that says "Correction/Downgrade".

Contact Info

By Email


By Phone


Documents Required

Drivers replacing their out of state license must show documents which have a total of 6 points. This is known as the NJ 6 Point ID Verification Program. Let's explain how this program works. 

6 Point Identification Verification

  • You must show one (1) document from the list of Primary ID.
  • You must show one (1) document from the list of Secondary ID.
  • Your Social Security Number is required. Records will be checked with that of the Social Security Administration.gov system. 
  • You must show one (1) document which shows proof that you are a resident of the state of New Jersey.
  • Download the following PDF file to see and print a list of all acceptable primary and secondary documents. You also have the option of using this online document selector.
*All documents must be original or certified copies, in english, and have the required state and/or municipal seals. Certified copies of New Jersey records are available from the municipality that originally issued them and from the State Bureau of Vital Statistics at www.nj.gov/health/vital or (609) 292-4087. If your birth certificate is from Jersey City/Hudson County you must check www.nj.gov/health/vital/jersey city or call (888)486-3339.

Primary Documents


  • Civil birth certificate* or certified copy from one of the 50 states, District of Columbia or a US territory. Photocopies or certificates from hospitals or religious entities are not accepted. 


  • US Department of State birth certificate (Form FS-545,FS 240 or DS-1350)
  • US passport, current or expired less than 3 years
  • Current US Passport card
  • Current NJ digital driver license
  • Current NJ digital non-driver ID card
  • Current NJ digital boat license
  • Valid active duty US military photo ID card 
  • US adoption papers
  • Certificate of naturalization (Form N-550,N-570 or N-578)
  • Certificate of citizenship (Form N-560,N-561 or N-645)

NON U.S CITIZENS [ Additional requirement(s) may apply; call 888-486-3339 ]

  • Foreign passport with INS or USCIS verification and valid record of arrival/departure (Form I-94) 
  • Foreign passport with INS or USCIS verification and valid Form I-551 stamp 
  • Current alien registration card (new Form I-551) with expiration date and verification from INS or USCIS
  • Refugee travel document (Form I-571) 
  • US re-entry permit (Form I-327) 
  • Valid I-94 stamped “Refugee,” “Parolee,” “Asylee” or “Notice of Action” (Form I-797 approved petition) by INS or USCIS
  • Valid I-94 with attached photo stamped “Processed for I-551…” by INS or USCIS


  • Current photo employment authorization card (Form I-688B or I-766). 
  • Must be presented with valid Social Security card.


  • Current alien registration card (old Form I-551) without expiration date and with INS or USCIS verification 
  • Photo temporary resident card (Form I-688) 

Secondary Documents


  • Civil marriage, domestic partnership or civil union certificate issued by the municipality or state in which the ceremony occurred. Please note: Photocopies or certificates issued by religious entities are not acceptable 
  • Order or decree of divorce, dissolution or termination* 
  • Court order for a legal name change, signed by a judge or court clerk 
  • Current US military dependent card 
  • US military photo retiree card 
  • Valid NJ firearm purchaser card 


  • US school photo ID card with transcript or school records 
  • US college photo ID card with transcript 
  • Valid federal, state or local government employee driver license 
  • Valid federal, state or local government employee photo ID card 
  • US military discharge papers (DD214) 
  • FAA pilot license 

1-POINT DOCUMENTS: [ You cannot use more than two of these]

  • Current/expired less than one year non-digital NJ PHOTO driver license
  • Current PHOTO driver license from any other state or the District of Columbia 
  • Social Security card 
  • Bank statement or record 
  • ATM card with preprinted name and applicant’s signature. (Please note: An ATM card and bank statement cannot be submitted together.) 
  • Current health insurance card, prescription card 
  • Employee ID card with printed pay stub 
  • State professional license 
  • NJ public assistance card with photo (also known as a NJ Social Services ID card) 
  • High school diploma, GED or college diploma 
  • Property tax statement, bill or receipt issued by a New Jersey municipality 
  • For NJ high school students: a waiver certificate for the written portion of the driver’s test 
  • Veterans Affairs universal access photo ID card

Social Security

  • Your Social Security Number is required and it will be cross referenced with that of the SSA.gov database. 

Proof of New Jersey Address

  • You must show one (1) document which shows proof that you live in the state of New Jersey.  

To see and download a list of all documents, open the following PDF file (http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/Licenses/ident_ver_posterpint.pdf). Or you may use this web page to guide you in choosing your documents.


For the Latest Information. Click Below