is a PRIVATELY OWNED website that is NOT owned or operated by any state government agency.

minnesota drivers license name change - MN

Do you need to change the name on your license? Process your Minnesota Drivers license name change now and avoid spending time on the DMV site. You'll have to decide whether you simply want to apply for a duplicate license or if you wish to renew your license. Regardless, you must show the state of MN the appropriate documents which show proof of your new name. You will need to show up in person at any minnesota dmv office to update your driver's license.  We can help you make sure that you don't overlook any important step or rules. Continue reading below and follow our step by step guide.  

Minnesota Drivers License Name Change Information

By law you have thirty (30) days (after changing your legal name) to notify the Minnesota Department of Public Safety’s Driver and Vehicle Services. 

In the state of Minnesota when you change your name, you have the option of either renewing or replacing your driver's license. You can go through your local Minnesota DVS office. Just fill the application form, pay the fee and you'll get your new license.

In Person


  1. Locate your closest minnesota dmv office and show up in person for your Minnesota name change, or replacement or renewal.
  2. Make sure that you bring all required documents (read below) to validate your new name.
  3. Bring money to pay for the Fee (read below for details). Note: The ONLY forms of payment accepted are Cash and personal Check.  The fee is the same if you are under the age of 21.

Cost for Minnesota Drivers License Name Change

You will either be renewing or replacing your license. Costs are as follows:

  • Renewals : $26.25 for a Class D license . Same price if under 21 years of age. 
  • Duplicate: $15.75 for all classes . 

Read the latest fees page for the most current prices.

Documents Required

Proof of your legal name change must be shown: 

  • Marriage certificate (must be certified)
  • Divorce decree (must be certified and the name change needs to be listed)
  • Court order (must be certified and the name change needs to be listed)
  • You must also show at least one (1) Primary and one (1) Secondary document
  • Note: The DPS office must clearly see a link between your primary, secondary and proof of new name documents.
  • Primary Documents include:
    • Certified birth record, U.S. passport, passport from another country, tribal ID card, Canadian birth certificate, etc.. Click Here for a complete list of the Primary Documents.
  • Secondary Documents include:
    • Any one of the other primary documents above, driver license (with photo), social security card, marriage certificate, Canadian court order, student ID card, etc..  Click Here for a complete list of the Secondary Documents.