is a PRIVATELY OWNED website that is NOT owned or operated by any state government agency.

minnesota drivers permit - MN

Minnesota Drivers Permit Information

To get your drivers license in  Minnesota, you need to apply for a Class D license. You must have a Minnesota license within 60 days of establishing residency.

Minnesota Drivers License Requirements

18 years and under (Graduated Driver Licensing - GDL)

  • Stage 3: Full License

    • Must be at least 18 years old.
    • Must have had a provisional license (see below) for at least one (1) year.
  • Stage 2: Provisional License 

    • You must be at least 16 years old.
    • Must have proof of Classroom Instruction.
    • Must have Instruction Permit for at least 6 months.
    • Pass a Road Test
    • Must have parental consent.
  • Stage 1: Instruction Permit

    • You must be at least 15 years old.
    • Must have proof of Classroom Instruction.
    • Must have parental consent.

18 years and over

  • Class D


For complete details and Restrictions and to GET your Minnesota drivers license, please SIGN IN HERE

Minnesota Drivers Ed

Visit our minnesota drivers ed page for more information on Minnesota driver education.

Tests Required

  • Vision Test

  • Knowledge Test

  • Road Test

Test requirements vary by age and depending on whether you've previously held a license in another state. 

For complete details and to GET your Minnesota license, please SIGN IN HERE


New Driver's License (Class D)

  • $24.00

Provisional Drivers's License

  • $15.00

Instruction Permit

  • $12.00


For complete Fees SIGN IN HERE

Documents needed to get your Minnesota Drivers License

  • Identification (Primary Documents)

    • A few examples:
      • Birth Record (Certified)
      • U.S. Passport (must be active)
      • For complete list of items SIGN IN HERE
  • Identification (Secondary Documents)

    • A few examples:
      • Primary Document (another one)
      • Drivers License (with photo)
  • For Minors (Under 18)

    • Parent or guardian signature on application
  • Social Security Number

  • For temporary U.S. residents

    • A few examples: