is a PRIVATELY OWNED website that is NOT owned or operated by any state government agency.

new mexico drivers license name change - NM

Do you need to change the name on your license? Process your New Mexico Drivers license name change now and avoid spending time on the DMV site. You'll have to make sure that you present the appropriate documents before completing an official name change with the state of NM. The documents depend on whether you just married, got divorced, or are legally changing your name. You will need to show up in person at any mvd field office to update your driver's license.  We can help you make sure that you don't overlook any important step or rules. Continue reading below and follow our step by step guide.  

New Mexico Drivers License Name Change Information

You must make the change quickly to avoid breaking the law. As soon as you legally change your name, you will have to notify the MVD of this change in a period not exceeding ten (10) days. However, before visiting the MVD, you need notify to the Social Security Administration about any changes. 

In Person


  1. The MVD will verify that your social security card name matches your new name. First visit the Social Security Administration and make the change with them. Please wait a few business days after making the change before visiting the NM MVD.
  2. Map out and visit your local mvd field office.
  3. Make sure that you bring all required documents (read below) to validate your new name.

Cost for New Mexico Drivers License Name Change

You will have to apply for a new drivers license which will show your new name.

The cost is $18.00 for a four (4) year license. OR

The cost is $34.00 for an eight (8) year license. 

Documents Required

Please the use following check list of documents and any other information that can be useful to change your Name in your Driver’s License.

  • Marriage Certificate
  • Divorce Decree
  • Court Order
  • Birth Certificate (required only if you are changing your name due to a mistake or typo on your current license).
  • Your Social Security card

Note: The MVD will only accept original or certified copies.