is a PRIVATELY OWNED website that is NOT owned or operated by any state government agency.

florida drivers license name change - FL

How to Change Your Name on Your Florida Drivers License

If you would like to change the name on your Florida Driver's License, you must 

  1. Visit any florida dmv office
  2. First you must make the change with the social security administration. We have provided a link for you here in order to get you started. You can also visit the main site of the social security administration.
  3. Present proof of the legal name change by bringing an original copy (photocopies cannot be used) or certified copy of proof of name change. If you do not have the original or certified copy, please go to the local clerk of court where name change was filed. 
    The following documents need to be shown to show proof of name change:
    • Marriage certificate. A certified court order is also accepted.
      • Marriage certificate issued by the church cannot be used.
      • The state of Florida needs to recognize the marriage certificate.
      • If your marriage certificate is valid in another state, the state of Florida will usually recognize it. 
    • Divorce decree
    • Court Order
  4. Bring the incorrect / old license
  5. Present all other required identity documents (See Below)


Bring money to pay the change of name Fee, which is $25.00

Documents needed

Since the year 2010, federal regulations have demanded that you present the following documents when renewing your license. This is due to the REAL ID Act. 

Note: You will only need to show the documents below if any of the following are true

  • This is the first time you are applying for a drivers license.
  • The last time you renewed either online or by mail, AND your current license does not have a star (REAL ID compliant, read section below) on the upper right hand corner. 
  • You have legally changed your name, either by marriage, court order or divorce.

Following Section is for U.S. Citizens

Bring one (1) certified copy or original of the following documents.

  • Proof of Identity alongside Birth Date (Primary Identification). The following documents will show proof of your U.S.A. citizenship and or legal status.
    • U.S. Passport or Passcord Card (these must be active and not expired)
    • U.S. Birth Certificate.
      • Note: Certificates from Puerto Rico must be July 1 2010 or later.
      • A birth certificate from a hospital will not be accepted, as that is not considered a certified document.
      • For certified birth certificates, you must show a document from your county health deparment or the CDC. Please see below for links to these institutions
    • Consular Report of Birth Abroad.  
    • Certificate of Naturalization (form N 550 or form N 570) OR Certificate of Citizenship (form N 560 or form N 561).
    • NoteIf necessary, in order to match your name from the above list of documents, to the name on your driver license or ID, you will be asked to show your marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order documents.
      However, if your passport's (from U.S.A.) name matches your current name, you will not be asked to show additional documents. 
  • Proof of Social Security Number (must show entire name and entire SSN)
    • You may bring either your SSN card. View here for more information on how to get or request a duplicate SSN card.
    • w-2 form (cannot be handwritten),
    • pay stub or
    • 1099 form (or SSA-1099). (cannot be handwritten), 
    • If you were never assigned a social security number, please contact and have them write a letter saying that you are not eligible. In addition to the letter, you must show another form of identification. This could be either a drivers license, school record, certificate of baptism, insurance document, military ID, court order, CWP (concealed weapons permit) etc..
  • Proof of Residential Address. You must show two (2) documents from this list. Your drivers license will not work to satisfy this requirement.
    • Examples of allowed documents are an automobile insurance policy, deed, mortgage payments, mortgage statement, lease agrrement,
    • Florida Voter Registration Card, 
    • car registration or car title,
    • boat registration or boat title,
    • utility work receipt performed during past 2 months,
    • car payment,
    • health insurance card or medical card,  
    • home or auto insurance documents or cards,
    • the following statement from a parent legal guardian or person whom you reside,
    • work license (must be U.S. government issued),
    • work order or utility hook up that is not older than two (2) months,
    • selective service registration card,
    • form w-2 or 1099,
    • ds2019 form, Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) status
    • school transcript (must be the current year)
    • homeless shelter, half way house or transitional service provider letter with the following official certification of address form
    •  Florida Department of Law Enforcement form filled out by your sheriff.
    • checking, savings or investment account correspondence.
    • goverment agency correspondence (federal, state, city or county)
  • Note: If you are not a citizen of the USA you must present proof of legal presence.
  • Note: If you cannot show any of the documents above, you must provide two proofs of address, alongside the  certification of address form . These may come from your parents, step parents, or legal guardian, or the person that you live with.  

Note: If you are not a citizen of the USA

You must present proof of legal presence.