is a PRIVATELY OWNED website that is NOT owned or operated by any state government agency.

montana drivers license name change - MT

Do you need to change the name on your license? Process your Montana Drivers license name change now and avoid spending time on the DMV site. You'll have to make sure that your requirements and documents are complete before submitting an official name change with the MT DMV. All requests for name changes or updates must be done in person at a driver exam station. Our mission is to ease the process of researching the steps required to perform this change. Use our site to download your easy to follow guide. 

Montana Drivers License Name Change Information

It's best to visit any driver license exam station or country treasurer immediately after you have legal changed your name. This way your driver's license will always be up to date. You will need to fill out an application where you'll write down your new name. As a note, your full legal name must not exceed 31 letters. Also, three (3) commas are allowed.

In Person


  1. Change of name must be in person by visiting the nearest Montana MVD office (driver exam station).
  2. Please fill the Duplicate license application. Be sure that you have with you a Proof of Identity at the moment that you visit the the office.
  3. In order to receive a new license showing your new legal name, you will have to apply for a replacement. See below for the price of a replacement license.

Note: If you have additional questions you may contact the MVD. Please call them at  866-450-8034 or email them at

Cost for Montana Drivers License Name Change

You have to pay the amount of $10 for a replacement or a duplicate Driver’s License with your name changed. 

Documents Required

Please the use following check list of documents and any other information that can be useful to change your Name in your Driver’s License.

  • Marriage Certificate
  • Divorce Decree
  • Court Order
  • Certificate of Naturalization (N-550 or N-570)
  • Your current driver’s license.
  • Your Social Security card

NOTE: Only originals documentation or certified copies are accepted.